Chasing money away from your honey
It comes as no surprise that I talk to everyone, about anything. I’m a talker and I love telling and hearing stories. I am fascinated by the human condition and how uniquely everyone sees the world. As we have been traveling, we have had the opportunity to meet more and more people from more and more places. The other day the husband met someone from Delaware, and I realized I know nothing about Delaware other than from Wayne’s World, and their point was also that they knew nothing about Delaware.
We obviously meet a lot of people who travel for work in the
hotels we stay in, because that’s why we stay in a hotel. New Orleans is a bit
unique because this is the first place we have been where you have many people
staying in the hotel who live here. We met a gentleman this morning who is
working renovating an apartment complex that is a little less than 5 minutes
away, who only lives about 45 miles from here, but traffic is so bad it takes
him two hours each direction, so instead of sitting in his car for an additional
four hours a day, he chooses to stay in a hotel. There are others like him and
a few still who are here because the damage in their home has not been repaired
yet.
There has been an interesting common theme that I have
noticed and I love these hotel people because they’re hustlers. Now, I’m not
saying you have to be a big-time hustler to be someone who is motivated, but I am
saying big time hustlers are motivated. We’ve met FEMA inspectors, National Guardsmen,
Roofers, Electric line workers, Oil workers (Shoremen), Railroad workers,
Adjusters, Automotive salesmen, and in every town we have met someone that does
some kind of inventory/shelf facing type work for various companies where they
work for a brand (ex – Home Depot) and travel to different stores. There’s a
fair mix between people who are contractors and people who are employees, but
they’re all hustlers.
Most of them work some type of job where their day may
exceed 8 hours, their week may exceed 40 hours, and they may work 30-60 days
with no days off in between except rain days (depending on their field). Some
have much shorter days, only work 4-6 hours, but travel and pack up often so
their days are calculated differently.
But, then, most of them go home, back to their place and
space and have several days off in a row to love on their family and create
memories. They’re all a bit tired, but as they talk about their tired, they
talk about those fat checks too and why it’s all worth it. Most of the people we
meet who travel make six figure incomes because companies know that time is
expensive – you’re paying someone for time away from their home and family, and
it costs, and companies are willing to pay. (And most of those people do not
live a six figure income lifestyle – they save most of that money because life
on the road has taught them how minimally you can live and how few “things” you
actually need.)
Lately, I have met several men who have been traveling for
10/20 years and it’s been a beating – BUT, they’re about to retire. They either
own a home, or have enough cash to buy a home and they have enough income to
retire. They’re very proud of their hard work and many of them additionally
talk about their children. They are so proud to share how their sacrifices away
from home afforded college, or knowledge, or the ability to help them with a loan
for homes or automobiles. They’re really proud of their kids successes that
have come at early ages than they enjoyed and at knowing their children will
start their journeys with a good foundation that they helped provide. They talk
of missed ballgames too and not enough dinners at home, but however they talk,
they love their families. Many of them have been doing this since they were in
their 20s. Many of them have shared that they invested in real estate as they
traveled and learned more about each economy they were working in. They learned
where you could get a great deal and made some nice profits to add more to their
retirement funds. They hustled and saved, and now they’re ready for the payoff
of their hard work. They’re giving up more today, for a better tomorrow in the future.
But there is a cost. Many of them carry more pounds than
they’d like as a side effect of hotel living and eating on the road. Three
weeks in a hotel with only a microwave has not been friendly to my stomach or
my weight, and three weeks is nothing compared to some of these stays. Everyone’s
back hurts from sleeping on lumpy mattresses that have seen multitudes of travelers.
Hours on the road or on planes means a host of other random physical issues
among everyone. Occasionally, the cost is higher. A loved one is lost and maybe
you can’t get home in time, or at all. Not all marriages can stand up to the
long stretches of time without your partner, and some children become
resentful. In all things, there has to be balance. Plus, location, location,
location – is totally out of your control. You can’t always guarantee you’ll be
in a nice hotel, in a safe area. And one of us learned today how much it sucks
when the hotel dryer shrinks your favorite joggers.
The husband and I have been debating what our next year
looks like. Each time our rental lease is up, it gives us a new opportunity to
assess where we are and where we want to be. Now that we have no school children
at home, we’re in a new phase that offers us much more flexibility. When we
have grandbabies, Gigi here plans on staying close to home so my grandbabies
will always have a loved one available for them for whatever reason. But right
now, there are so many opportunities before us. I don’t know where the road
will take us, but I do know, I am really enjoying the view – not just through
my own eyes, but through all the stories of everyone we meet. I learn something
new about humanity every single day. I fall in love with the world a bit more
every single day. I learn patience and kindness a little more every single day.
Every single day is a choice and an opportunity to grow. You can absolutely
bloom where you’re planted, but you can also blossom wherever the wind takes
you. Bloom or blossom – whatever works for you 😊
Comments
Post a Comment