The kids are alright


I'm not really one to publicly bash people or complain about people's areas of opportunity for growth and all, but one of the most disheartening things I read, are comments from people who work with children who can't handle their own emotions. For example, "I've been in Education for 20 years, and let me tell you, most kids are a**holes." (Real comment I read today)

Even if they don't work with children, you see so many negative comments about the juvenile condition - as if it's an optional phase in life. As if we weren't all one. As if there's another option toward adulthood to continue to repopulate our human race. 

If a child makes you that angry - guess what - the problem is YOU! "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt. If a child has the ability to "make you angry" (worded properly - if you choose to get angry) - then congrats you are human and your journey is to learn to control your anger. Your journey, as an adult human, is to learn to handle your emotions and to root your security in yourself, as opposed to the acceptance and opinion of a child. 

If you work with children and hate them, congrats! You've learned what you don't want to do! It's not for everyone and learning what jobs you don't want - is just as important as learning what you do want!

If you just don't like children in the world, congrats - you've learned what doesn't bring you joy! Just as important as learning what does bring you joy! But - just like all things - don't ruin it for the rest of us. I'll support your joy, you support mine. 

If you want children to be peaceful and loving adults - then be a peaceful and loving adult. You cannot expect to model hatred and anger toward them and for them to blossom as fully as a child who was nurtured in silliness and the compassionate side of humanity.

Whenever I tell people I want to teach high school, they tell me all the reasons they hate it or all the reasons why I shouldn't do it - but they don't realize - all they're telling me about are their areas of opportunity for growth. 

A**holes come in all ages. Children aren't even the best at it, except maybe hungry 3 year olds. What they are best at is learning. Learning how the world reacts to them, learning who they want to be, learning about love, patience and compassion. Learning all the ways their voices can be used and heard. Well, Aunt Stacee ain't scurred 😉 of those voices and honestly, it's so not hard to redirect the angry ones when you pour love into them. You can't save them all, but that has never ever stopped my family and I from trying. 

So, sure, kids can be a**holes. We can be too. Welcome to walking through life together! We can do this! We got this! We can battle our own demons! We can learn to manage our own emotions and happiness! We can continue to grow a nation of compassionate, critical thinkers who are changing things for the better every single day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing money away from your honey

Oh the places you will go and the people you will meet. Graduation 2021

I know I've become a flake, and here's why - and it's a lot of TMI